Sunday 10 December 2017

A Few Fishermen.

It seems like the snow that was forecast diverted away from Yorkshire and went further south as I opened the curtains this morning half expecting to see the white stuff but all was clear, The temperatures however had dived during the night & when I first got into the car the thermometer read -3.

A short trip up the Dale and I was pulling on the layers of clothing then scrambling into the neoprene chesties which was a job in itself but finally I was all snug and headed to the river.

The river looked in perfect condition but I knew it was going to be hard after hearing what the lads had caught the day before, not many but undeterred I set about chasing the Ladies.

It was about 40 minutes before the first fish of the day took the dropper and after a short tussle it managed to free itself, ah well at least I knew my dropper was working.




A short time again and the next fish took the same fly.










A change on the point fly to try & fool the fish and within 3 casts the next fish was on and they were getting bigger too.








Continuing in the pool for the next 20 minutes or so I managed to coax another couple of Grayling and dropped a few in the process too.








With nothing further coming from the pool I decided to get some circulation back into my feet and headed off downstream in search of more fish.






As I was approaching the next pool I noticed a fishermen overlooking the pool but am sure he wouldn't want to stay when he saw me.








Continuing onto the pool there were a few other fishermen already there!


3 cormorants, 1 heron and 2 goosanders just out of shot, I'd say the pool wasnt going to fish much, but I gave it a try anyway and sure enough, not a tug the full length of it.



Moving further downstream I noticed the otters were still feasting on the other pest in the river, with several of the crayfish spread around one specific part that I've seen signs of totters in the past.








The patterns in the ice were pretty as I walked down the bank.


30 minutes or so passed in my new spot before I finally got into the fish again.














Nothing of any weight or size but enough to keep my interest in the fishing as the river was freezing and the air was even colder.
















Fishing on for another hour or so I finally decided to call it a day with nothing further coming to the net, which had taken on an erection in the the cold air!


A cold and hard day but very satisfying and was great to be out on the bank again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.