Saturday 9 December 2017

Time For Giving Again.

There hasnt been anything in the last 12 months that has spurred me into making a float or two for other people again, quite frankly I've lost all interest in it as some people who I've taught in the past have no scruples and only want to make a quick quid, well you're welcome to it!

One thing that will always get my 100% attention is the charity box that I put together every year with all the proceeds going to either a military charity or a cancer charity. 

This year its the turn of cancer again and a few weeks ago I set about dusting off the lathe and turning some floats. Instead of the normal half dozen floats and a box I decided to broaden it this year to a 50/50 between trotting and fly fishing.





The trotting side of things I decided to keep my hand in so I set about making these from scratch and decided for the paint job it was going to be simple but attractive.





These are the first floats I've made in almost 12 months, and there wont be many more made for anyone else so if you want some of my work you better start bidding. The winning bidder can have their name put on them if they so wish.



These will suffice any angler out during the winter months in pursuit of the Lady of the Stream & into the Brown Trout season where a float fished worm will take an early trout or two. 

The fly fishing side of it Ive covered with making 3 furled leaders, two with built in indicators for nymph / spider fishing and one without for dry fly purposes.


Originating from the legendary Rod Dibble, Steven Dawson (AKA Mr Trout) took me under his wing and taught me all I needed to know about furled leader making and the tapers so I feel its only right this year that a couple of these are put to good use, so that completes the 50/50 split for charity.

These will be donated to the Lets Tackle Cancer Charity that I've supported since the beginning and hope that it continues the good work.

If you want to make a bid for the above items then drop me a note via the comments page on here, otherwise they will be advertised on the LTC noticeboard when I get that part clarified by the lads who run the charity.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff as usual George, beautifully made items in both departments, can’t believe how quickly you became a master furler.
    Hope they fetch good money for LTC, they deserve to.
    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all down to having a good teacher as you know steven. Thank you for all your patience and the knowledge you passed to me.

      Delete
  2. George I do admire your talent with those centerpin floats.
    The furled leader I don't know what I did before I started using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, The floats I've been making for years,albeit none for 12 months now, the furled leaders are recent after Steven taught me the art, for which im grateful as I used to buy them from him.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.