Friday 2 February 2018

Out of the Hat & Tying's

Sorry folks for keeping you in suspense, I know that January is over but the draw from Blog, Blog, Blogging Along was completed by my good lady Karen, but I've just not had time to get online in the last 2 days and get the blog entry written so my apologies first and foremost.

The entry Karen picked out of my trusty Boston hat was Andy from the blog Brooks and Brown Trout Congratulations Andy. If you drop me a message, (All have to be moderated so I just won't publish the message) with your address & what two leaders you want, I will get the floats & leaders sent to you next week.
















Since my last blog entry I've managed to get some tying done in preparation for those long summer nights where brown trout are rising freely to dry flies.

A favourite of mine and should be in everyone's Dry Fly box the Jingler.







These ones are tied on a #16 and the barbs will be nipped before going into the box. Extremely effective in hatches of LDO.








Moving up a size to #14 another few Jinglers with over exaggerated soft hen hackle for more movement in the water,  These ones in the bigger size are really effective in a March Brown hatch.








I happened to mention a Pheasant Tail Dry pattern on social media and was asked if I would tie a few up, probably the easiest dry fly to tie, some tie with pheasant fibres for the tail but for extra durability I prefer Coq de Leon.






and finally a mixture with two sighter flies at the top to work with some nymphs suspended under them, and a couple of CDC duns and Deer hair duns.


Hopefully the weather will be kind to me this weekend and I will manage to get out on the river and have a try for the Grayling again, Tight Lines if your fishing.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to Andy.
    George superb fly tying. The Jingler is a staple in my box. I tie a couple of colors, olive body and a brown body, both are deadly. I can't quite make out the tail material, is it partridge or coq de leon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, yes likewise tie up a few different variations of Jinglers and always one of my go to flies, the tails are indeed Coq de leon. If I get a chance later will tie up a few of my other go to fly, the foam Dun

      Delete
  2. Well blow me down, First bit of good luck I’ve had for a while . Your wife instinctively knew to pick a Yorkshireman George kiss a kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Andy, The cumbrian lot think there was collaboration that they stayed inside Yorkshire, but thats just jealousy!...lol All done above board by Karen.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.