Monday 2 April 2018

Let's get Jiggy Jiggy.

The old furling jig was fantastic however it was a bit on the heavy side and restrictive in the sense that I could only produce one size of Furled Leader on it so time for an upgrade.








What can you do with a 8ft plank of timber....












The first thing was to cut it to my desired size in this case I wanted a 6ft board but something that could be stored easy so cut again into two 3ft lengths and I would put a hinge in the middle so it could be stored closed and a lot easier than trying to store a 6ft length. Allowing room for the hooks and backboard I made the base unit a little longer so that the hinged section would fit into it for easy storage.







The next thing was some sort of securing mechanism to keep the board securely closed and I had a couple of magnets lying around for an old kitchen unit door so a couple of each side took care of the securing issue.






I had an idea of making the board a multi function jig which would cater for multiple lengths of furled leaders and came up with 6m sleeves and threaded rod, the sleeves would be drilled into the board and secured and the threaded rod would be drilled into the base of the pegs, allowing the pegs to be moved to any position I wanted.


After a bit of research on the internet & a few emails to my mentor who taught me to Furl, I soon had the peg distances from the back board and had them drilled out & secured, all that was needed now was pegs to be made and the board to be painted. 




Pegs made and rods fitted in the base of them and smoothed so as not to catch the threads.










To make things easier on my eyes with such thin threads I wanted to paint the board white so the threads would show up more in less light.


A couple of coats of white paint and some black pen work to mark the different peg positions the board was completed. With new furniture being made for me in the way of a new tying desk,  I didn't want to take the chance of the board scratching or scraping the new furniture so a backing of some old carpets tiles were added to just finish it off.
Easy stores in the closed position & the pegs fit inside a drawer where I keep the furling tools and threads.




And opened out it gives me multiple positions to make leaders through the range of 3 ft, 3.5ft, 4 ft, 4.5ft & 5ft, with an added one which I've yet to test which is a 5ft Weight Forward Furled Leader.






The first Furled Leader off the new Jig.









Soon followed with another couple to make up a 3ft, 4ft & 5ft trio.


The 5ft Weight Forward has also been made but Im holding back on that until I have time to test it as yet I've still not got any fishing done, 9 weeks without casting a rod! but looking at the results by friends who have been out, Im not missing too much.

6 comments:

  1. Cracking good job George, nicely thought out, makes my three separate jigs look old hat now.
    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steven, means a lot coming from you! Something I wanted to do for ages but kept putting it off, Now fully functioning as made every size & almost bang on with all lengths to which Im amazed at...lol
      cheers George

      Delete
  2. Not sure how that contraption works George but it looks a thing of beauty :)

    I bet Mrs George is glad that it stores away easily.

    Can't wait for the rivers to subside as I haven't even cast a line this year.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dave, Its a lot for something so simple & Im glad that it packs away easier, saves me humping the old one in & out all the time. Im like you cant wait to get out, 9 weeks without fishing in my books is an eternity. tight lines mate.

      Delete
  3. George I envy you. Your ability to work with tools and build is something I never mastered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, Am sure there are things you could turn your hand to if you put your mind to it, Ive seen you flies, just scale it up and you will amaze yourself.

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.