Sunday 26 November 2017

All I Saw Was Red Spots

It was doubtful if I was going to get any fishing in this weekend as the river midweek was almost at record levels of flooding.


With many large trees and other debris left well high and dry over the opposite side of the flood berms which the farmer had built to try & protect his pastures, these were no match for the floodwaters which had went right over the top of them.




I was looking forward to seeing what the river was like as the levels had dropped away dramatically since the flood mid week and if I hit it right there would be a good colour running off , just what I like to fish the river in.

I got to the river and peered over the top of the flood berm and was pleasantly pleased the river was up but a fishable level and the colour was dropping out, which I knew fishes well.

Setting up and dropping down into the water a couple of Salmon sped off upstream from my entry point the first I've seen since the season closed and soon they will be on the redds.

I was about 10 minutes into my session when the line halted and I lifted into the first fish of the day, instantly I knew it was a trout the way it sped off. Netted and safely released it went back to its business a very dark fish which was now hollow indicating that it had spawned.

A few moment later and a couple of steps further down the run the line went taught and the 2nd fish of the day was on, again another trout but this one was in excellent condition.




whilst it was recovering in the net a quick snap before releasing back to where it came from. I was pleasantly surprised at what good condition the fish was in seeing as what time of year it is.

Continuing down the run a further two smaller trout came to my nymphs.




Walking down the bank to the next piece of water I wanted to fish and the frost still hadn't lifted from this side of the bank and the north wind blowing was severely cold.


The snow hasnt quite reached this far down the Dale but the high peaks further up are covered in snow, just a taste of whats coming our way.

Fishing in the next piece of water produced a further two trout, it seems the heavy water has spurred the trout into feeding and put the Grayling down as I hadn't touched one so far.

I fished on down the river picking up another couple of small dark trout before coming across this one, again in excellent condition and in fine fettle.

Like the other a quick picture as I lifted it from the net after it recovered from its tussle.


What amazed me was the vast difference in trout which I had caught today, most were really dark fish and in not the best of condition but amongst them were a few fighting fit fish in excellent condition as if it was the middle of the summer.

I fished on for a further hour before the biting cold wind got the better of me and I decided to head home to warm up and sit and see if I could improve on a couple of imitations that I had taken with me today which needed looking at before I take them for a swim again, all revealed when I get them right, as yet very much still in the trial process.

2 comments:

  1. George, that fly rod and reel look awfully cold. I am in no hurry to feel the cold penetrating my bones.
    Beautiful browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assure you Alan it was cold, I had a leak in my waders and it was bitter but I stuck it out for as long as I could...lol

      Delete

Your comments will be added after verification by the moderator.